Have you found a sketchbook that works well for sketching while traveling? If you have, run don't walk to your computer keyboard to tell me about your sketchbook so I can get or make one to take with me on my trip next week.
I will describe the sketchbooks pictured above so you can get an idea of what sort of sketchbook almost worked for me in the past.
1. Photo copied an old book, punched 3 holes in sketchbook, raffine paper and Arches 140 lb wc paper. The binder rings are clumsy and get in the way when you turn the pages, but they do allow you to move your pages around.
2. Store bought in Italy Sketchbook, looks good but the pages are too slick for me.
#3. Old book with sketch paper coil bound inside. Sketch paper too thin to paint on and its difficult to find the right size book and paper to fit it without wasting a lot of precious wc paper.
4. Canson mixed media sketchbook, nice paper, but heavy and bulky to carry around and fit inside your suitcase.
5. Old book cover with Arches paper bound inside with a wire coil at the top, almost perfect but a bit heavy and bulky when you are painting on the run.
6. Paper is folded in half and bound to cover with string or rubber bands, ok, good idea in theory but looks tacky.
7. I love this sketchbook, but it does have a few drawbacks. The Cheese-its Cover is a reminder not to take your artwork too seriously. Inside are lots of different kinds of papers, maybe too many, that's why its not perfect. However, the sketchbook is nice and light and travels well.
8. Global Art Handbook, ok, but the paper isn't wonderful for painting and I don't like the portrait orientation, and Global Arts are beautifully bound, but don't stand up to the rigors of my travels.
9. Moleskine large wc sketchbook, wonderful in all ways but too heavy for me to travel with.
10. Newest purchase, a Canson bound sketchbook, full of 90 lb. paper. Doing some tests on the paper to see if this one could make it to France with me.
11., 12, oops I skipped 13. and 14. this is getting boring you've probably stopped reading by now.
15. Moleskine pocket size wc sketchbook, perfect for daily quick sketches, but I need something that is as portable as this one but a little bit bigger......